Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Happy 80th, Goldy!



Howdy Folks,

So today is Jerry Goldsmith's birthday. If he were still alive, he'd have a bunch of candles on the ole' cake, but unfortunately for us all, he expired in 2004. This guy was such a trooper, he was making music for films up until 2 years before his can was kicked. Pretty bad ass if you ask me. I could have easily devoted a whole day to music from this mythical music monster, but I've only got two hours of air time, so I did what I could and played some personal favorites (and out of prints). We heard music from the following films he scored:

DOWNLOAD THIS SHOW

The Edge (1997)
Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)
First Blood (1982)
Explorers (1985)
The Mephisto Waltz (1971)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
The 'burbs (1989)
King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Laserblast (1978)

DOWNLOAD THIS SHOW


Also, I'm not one to hype other film score shows, especially ones that aren't as good as mine, and ones that won't pick up my show or return my calls and emails....but Sirius/XM's Cinemagic is pairing up with Varèse Sarabande Records to devote all week to over 130 Goldsmith scores, it should be quite a listen. Apparently the Varèse crew are pulling their head out of their asses and taking some stuff out of the vaults for us to hear. I've already got bootlegs of lots of the unreleased stuff anyway...so there. Neener neener. I bet you won't hear music from Laserblast on stupid Cinemagic.

No comments: