Saturday, February 02, 2008

Saturday Score Selection #9 : Breakin' (1984)


Breakin' - (1984)
Various Artists

God damnit! You know what I'm getting sick of? Movies about dancing, dance crews, choreographers or any other excuse to get a bunch of new, young, no talent actors trying to break it big by trying to pull a Saturday Night Fever sans a script and the Bee-Gees. Success of things like Step Up and Dancing with the Stars has somehow got the public in a "We're too fat to ever move our bodies off the couch, let's watch others do it!" frenzy. Cause I guess if it's in a movie or on TV then we're supposed to watch it. If I want to watch sweaty, athletic young people gyrate all over each other in a passionate and steamy setting...I'll watch it in the privacy of my bedroom on the internet thank you. I digress...to a time where movies about dance crews were actually awesome. Cue the 80's, when pretty much everything was awesome by mere chronological proximity. Case in point: Breakin'. This movie was THE dance crew film. Did I mention it was also the film debut of Ice-T? It also starred people with such monikers as "Michael 'Boogaloo Shrimp' Chambers" and "Bruno Pop N' Taco' Falcon" ...umm kickass? These guys brought pop'n and lock'n to the silver screen on a red and black checkered linoleum platter. More to the point...the music in this film was groundbreaking. It was a veritable who's who of electro funk artists of the day (who are just now starting to get their credit nearly 3 decades later when people are finally starting to admit that electro is rad...thanks France.) So I leave you with two of my favorite tracks from this film.
Download "Body Work" by Hot Steak via yousendit

and

Download "Showdown" by Ollie & Jerry via yousendit

Excuse me while I go practice the worm.
Yours,
The Boom "Sidestep Strudel" Operator

1 comment:

The Fiji Mermaid said...

The Breakin flicks, classic 80s dance films. I personal find "Electric Boogaloo" my favorite of the films.